Tuesday, December 17, 2013

My Obsession with Coconut Oil

I have had nearly a 10 year relationship with extra virgin coconut oil. Being a lover of all things tropical AND a (reformed) health nut, I hopped eagerly on board when the claims started floating in about this miracle Elixer. From weight loss to anti-aging, this relatively low-priced oil can do it all, they say. I'm not sure if ALL the claims are true but I really have found it to be an indispensable part of my beauty routine.

I use it for:
Skin moisturizer
Facial moisturizer & eye cream
Acne, preventing & treating
To heal & fade acne scars
To reduce blackheads
Prevent/treat eczema
Eyelash growth treatment
Makeup remover
Add it to concealer to make a custom foundation (if you'd like you can gently blot the excess oil after you've applied to make it matte, use a tissue)
Add it to foundation to make it lighter coverage
Massage oil
Lube (take that for whatever you want it to mean, it works too well to not mention.)
Deodorant
Foot deodorant/moisturizer
Healing and preventing razor burn (use it on your bikini line; you are welcome.)
As a base for homemade facial scrub, body scrub and lip scrub
To remove lipstick from lip liner brushes
To remove lipstick from your face :)
Makeup brush conditioner (I actually prefer olive oil but this works)
Layer of protection under drying lipsticks (apply, let it soak in a little, blot)
Scalp & hair treatment
Food (oh wait, it's edible? I almost forgot!)
Gentle laxative (or so I've heard, I wouldn't know because I have robot parts.)

What I do not like to use it for but other people do:
Shaving cream (it clogs up your razor hardcore)
Weight loss supplement (this has never helped me lose weight but it never seemed to make me gain weight either). Whether or not it speeds up metabolism is not something that's been proven to me. You will lose weight like crazy, however, if you use this in conjunction with a low carb diet. But you will lose weight like crazy if you do a low carb diet without coconut oil too.


VERDICT:
The PROS definitely outweighs the CONS. In fact the only con I can think of is the price IF you compare it to other oils. If you compare it to the products purchased for the uses listed above, it is a bargain.

I might also mention for every makeup look I have done, I have used coconut oil under my makeup. I should perhaps list it every day. I absolutely love coconut oil. It is my Holy Grail product.

Sept. 10, 2014  UPDATE,!! 
I do not use coconut oil on my face anymore. It started out great and then my pores started clogging up on my cheeks. I tried to blame everything but the coconut oil, But alas, coconut oil on the face is not for me anymore. So sad...it makes my skin so soft!
And NO MORE using coconut oil as lube, not good.
That's all I will say regarding that.
It still works lovely as a body moisturizer, food, eye makeup remover, etc etc etc. Carry on. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment